So you’re thinking about tackling the Cuidad Perdida or Lost City trek in Colombia? I was not able to find very much information about this hike before I went. So without really knowing what to expect here is what you shouldn’t forget to bring with you.
Also you can check out these hostels in Colombia for the best recommendations!
Cuidad Perdida Necessities
• Proper hiking boots. Honestly, these Columbia Newtons saved me so many times. The ankle support saved me from twisting my ankle and they are waterproof which was fantastic when hopping across streams and rivers. No wet feet is always awesome.
• Hoodie. I survived with just my t-shirt but there was one evening that I would’ve been glad for my hoodie.
• Strong bug spray. I didn’t think the bugs could possibly be that bad… countless itchy bites later I learned my lesson. I ended up borrowing someone’s to try and prevent any more bites.
• Sunblock and/or hat. The sun was brutal on the way to Cuidad Perdida. If you want to avoid sunburn on top of all the other aches and pains of hiking for 4 days then don’t forget your Sunblock. I wish I had a hat as well to keep the sun out my face.
• Sleeping bag liner. Not a necessity but, the beds don’t smell the best. I loved curling up in my sleeping bag liner that smelled fresh.
• Towel and Toiletries. There are actually showers and proper toilets available at each camp along the trek to Cuidad Perdida. So bring your body wash and shampoo and make the most of it after a long day of hiking.
• Swimsuit. There are lots of stops where you can swim in the natural pools and it’s really refreshing after a long day. Make the most of it.
• Bring some cash as there are shops all the way up to Cuidad Perdida. Keep in mind everything gets more expensive as you go!
• First aid kit/ medication. Don’t forget this just in case.
• Ear plugs and sleep mask. There are lots of inconsiderate noisy people who like to flash their head lamps into people’s beds. Don’t be that person digging into a backpack full of noisy plastic bags and have these handy so you can avoid dealing with that same person.
Pack as light as you can, the trek to Cuidad Perdida is steep and the sun makes it even tougher. Your best bet is to have one set of hiking clothes and one set of clothes for camp. Walk with hiking poles if you really need them. I survived without them so it’s up to you. Don’t forget your camera for some epic pictures and make the most of every moment.
Make sure to brush up your travel photography before you go!